October 4, 2011

Week 8: Spreading the wealth

Last week I focused on tracking participation. I continued on that focus this week as well, but I added another element. This week I wanted to make sure I was not always calling on those students who were not listening to me during a lesson. I noticed from last week that when I saw a student off task, I was more likely to call on that student to answer one of my questions. I wanted to even out the attention I give to different students.

For the most part, instead of calling on the student(s), I was able to give a warning or consequence. I reminded myself not to call on the rule breakers. I made sure to have different people go up to the Starboard. Overall, I believe my participation is going pretty well!

Something I continue to struggle with is distributing my help to students. Some students really need more individual attention than I have time for. I want to help them, but when I have four other students asking for help as well...I get flustered. Oye. What to do, what to do? So far, I usually end up moving on and asking a stronger math student to help out. That's all I've got. I need more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment